The Zulu people of Southern Africa have an effective way to catch the ring-tailed monkey. “Their trap is nothing more than a melon growing on a vine. The seeds of this melon are the favorite of the monkey. Knowing this, the Zulus simply cut a hole in the melon, just large enough for the monkey to insert his hand to reach the seeds inside. The monkey will stick his hand in, grab as many seeds as he can, then start to withdraw it. This he cannot do. His fist is now larger than the hole. the monkey will pull and tug, screech and fight the melon for hours. But he can’t get free of the trap unless he gives up the seeds, which he refuses to do. Meanwhile, the Zulus sneak up and nab him” (Bible.org).
Some people are like this. They have things in their lives which they are unwilling to give up. Satan uses such to nab them.
- The praise of men – “Nevertheless even among the chief rulers many believed in Him, but because of the Pharisees they did not confess Him, lest they should be put out of the synagogue for they loved the praise of men more than the praise of God” (John 12:42-43).
- Material possessions – “Jesus said to him, ‘If you want to be perfect, go sell what you have and give to the poor, and you will have treasures in heaven; and come follow me.’ But when the young man heard that saying, he went away sorrowful, for he had great possessions” (Matthew 19:21-22).
- Family – “He who loves father or mother more than Me is not worthy of Me, and He who loves son or daughter more than Me is not worthy of Me” (Matthew 10:37).
- Physical life – “And he who does not take up his cross and follow after Me is not worthy of Me. He who finds his life will lose it, and he who loses his life for My sake will find it” (Matthew 10:38-39).
- Sinful lusts – “Beloved, I beg you as sojourners and pilgrims, abstain from fleshly lusts which war against your soul” (1 Peter 2:11).
- Pride – “Pride goes before destruction and a haughty spirit before a fall
- Anger and hatred – “Let all bitterness, wrath, anger, clamor, and evil speaking be put away from you, with all malice” (Ephesians 4:31). “But now you yourselves are to put off all these: anger, wrath, malice, blasphemy, filthy language out of your mouth” (Colossians 3:8).
- Evil company – “Do not be deceived: ‘Evil company corrupts good habits'” (1 Corinthians 15:33). “He who walks with wise men will be wise, but the companion of fools will be destroyed” (Proverbs 13:20).
- Anything which causes one to sin – “If your right eye causes you to sin, pluck it out and cast it from you; for it is more profitable for you that one of your members perish, than for your whole body to be cast into hell. And if your right hand causes you to sin, cut it off and cast it from you; for it is more profitable for you that one of your members to perish, than for the whole body to be cast into hell” (Matthew 5:29-30).
Hold on to nothing so tightly that Satan can use it to nab you. This obviously includes sinful things. However, this also includes even things which are not even inherently sinful.