Sometimes, it appears to me, that we are so zealous in stressing the proper form (action) in worship, that we neglect to teach upon the proper attitude. However, both the proper action, and the proper attitude are necessary to be approved and pleasing to God.
Consider from scripture, for example, the following:
1. We are to fear and love God (attitude), walk in all His ways and serve Him (action) – Deuteronomy 10:12-13.
2. We are to serve Him in sincerity (attitude, heart), and truth (action) – Joshua 24:14.
3. God has always expected His people to fear Him (attitude), and keep His commandments (action) – Ecclesiastes 12:13.
4. Whoever fears Him (attitude), and works righteousness (action) is acceptable by Him – Acts 10:35.
5. We, as Paul, should serve God with our spirit (attitude), in the Gospel (action) – Romans 1:9.
6. True worshippers must worship God in spirit (attitude, engaged mind) and in truth (action) – John 4:24.
7. We are to give (action) cheerfully (attitude) – 2 Corinthians 9:7.
8. We are to partake of the Lord’s Supper (action) in remembrance of Him (attitude, engaged mind) – 1 Corinthians 11:24.
9. We are to draw near unto Him not only with our mouths and lips (action), but also with our hearts (attitude) – Matthew 15:8.
Brethren, mediate upon these passages. When we approach God, let us never be guilty of merely going through the motions, but let us sincerely, with our whole being, approach Him according to His revealed will (John 4:24 cf. ‘spirit’ – Joshua 24:15 and ‘truth’ – John 17:17)!